Skip Menu

Return to Skip Menu

Main Content

The Department of Biological Sciences accepts internal transfer requests for the Biological Sciences and Microbiology majors from eligible students throughout the year.

Students who wish to change their major to Biological Sciences or Microbiology, or add either as a second major, must first:

1. complete each of the following courses (or equivalents) with a grade of “C” or better: BIOL 1105, BIOL 1115, BIOL 1106, BIOL 1116, CHEM 1035 and CHEM 1036. Only two graded attempts, including “W” grades, are allowed for each course.
2. pass or otherwise receive credit for two semesters of Math (preferably MATH 1025-1026, 1016-2015, 1205-1206, or 1225-1226)
3. pass or otherwise receive credit for ENGL 1105-1106 or ENGL 1204H
4. have an overall GPA of at least 2.0
5. have an in-major GPA of 2.2 (major specific courses in BIOL, CHEM, MATH, PHYS & STAT)

Students who meet the requirements listed above will need to contact the Biological Sciences Undergraduate Advising Office (2089 Derring Hall,, or 540-231-6407) to set up an appointment with an academic advisor. Prior to this meeting, these students must complete a four-year-plan for the Biological Sciences or Microbiology major. The plan may be accessed here. Students must also run a "What If DARS" for the major and bring a copy along with the 4-year plan to the advising meeting. More information about accessing DARS (Degree Audit Reporting System) can be found here. Students must bring the printer-friendly DARS, which is generally six or more pages and shows all coursework completed and not completed.

At your scheduled appointment, you and an advisor will go over your completed paperwork and discuss any questions you may have. After this discussion, if you determine you would like to be a Biological Sciences or Microbiology major, you will fill out a Change of Major Form and begin the paperwork process. Several signatures are required on the Change of Major Form and it is the student's responsibility to obtain the required signatures and turn the form in to the College of Science Dean's Office for final processing.

Once a student transfers into Biological Sciences or Microbiology, they must meet progress to degree requirements and maintain at least an in-major 2.2 GPA for each semester, including the semester of transfer. For requirements and course information, please see our web site at

Contact Information

Derring Hall Room 2089
1405 Perry Street
Mail Code 0406
Blacksburg, VA  24061

(540) 231-6407

Monday through Friday
8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.