Our Diverse Community of Scholars
Statement of Purpose and Values
The Department of Biological Sciences is an academic community that reflects and embraces the cultural and intellectual diversity of the real world.
Our goals are:
- to foster a climate of respect and appreciation for the value of a culturally and ethnically rich environment, and
- to prepare students for careers in a globally connected economy and to promote their personal growth, maturity and responsibility
- Multicultural Academic Opportunities Program (MAOP) – MAOP is an academic success community for promoting diversity of the undergraduate and graduate student body at VT. A number of programs are coordinated by MAOP (see link for further information).
- Virginia-North Carolina Alliance for Minority Participation (VA-NC AMP)
- VT-IMSD (Initiative for Maximizing Student Development) Program
- Office of Undergraduate Research
- Department of Biological Sciences Scholarships
Programs at Virginia Tech:
- Office of Graduate Recruitment and Diversity Initiatives in the Graduate School
- VT-PREP - A one year transitional preparation program between the bachelor’s degree and graduate school
- VT-IMSD - A doctoral support program
National Diversity Scholarship Programs in which Virginia Tech participates: