Professor Emeritus of Biological Sciences
- 1961 B.A. Biology, (Chemistry) William Jewell College, Liberty, Missouri.
- 1963 M.A. Biology, College of William and Mary, Williamsburg, Virginia.
- 1968 Ph.D. Cellular and Molecular Biology, University of Miami, Coral Gables, Florida.
- 1967-1968 Biochemistry, Washington University Medical School, Department of Pharmacology, St. Louis, Missouri. Post Doctoral Associate.
- 1968-1972 Developmental Biology, Boston Biomedical Research Institute, Department of Developmental Biology, Boston, Massachusetts. Post Doctoral Associate.
- 1972-1978 Assistant Professor, Department of Biology, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, Blacksburg, Virginia 24061.
- 1978-1984 Associate Professor, Department of Biology, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, Blacksburg, Virginia 24061.
- 1985-2005 Professor of Molecular and Cellular Biology, Department of Biology, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, Blacksburg, Virginia 24061.
Courses taught at Virginia Tech included Vertebrate Embryology, Developmental Biology, Developmental Biology Laboratory, The Biology of Aging, Selected Topics in Development, Advanced Cell Biology, Principles of Biology, and Human Anatomy. He directed the research of 32 graduate students and 10 post docs.
His primary research involved understanding the mechanism of gene regulation in Dictyostelium. In addition, he did research on breast cancer and prostate cancer. He received continuous grant support during his career from several outside sources including NIH and NSF.
During retirement he enjoys travel, golf, boating and fishing.