Assistant Professor of Biological Sciences
Major Field of Interest
Microbial ecology, microbial diversity, genomics and metagenomics
Research in the lab focuses on understanding the processes that shape the structure and function of microbial communities.
- 2014-2017 Postdoctoral Researcher. Advisor: Edward F. DeLong, Center for Microbial Oceanography Research and Education, University of Hawai’i at Mānoa, Honolulu, HI.
- 2013-14 Postdoctoral Researcher. Advisor: Edward F. DeLong, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, MA.
- 2008-13 PhD in Microbiology, Microbiology Doctoral Training Program, University of Wisconsin-Madison, Madison, WI. Awarded in August 2013.
- 2004-08 B.Sc., double-major in Biochemistry and Molecular Biophysics and Molecular and Cellular Biology, University of Arizona, Tucson, Arizona.
- 2019 Simons Early Career Investigator in Marine Microbial Ecology and Evolution Award
- 2019 Outstanding Research Award, VT Biological Sciences
- 2018 Alfred P. Sloan Research Fellowship in Ocean Sciences.
- 2018 ICTAS Junior Faculty Award
- 2012 International Society for Microbial Ecology Travel Grant (€750).
- 2012 Wisconsin Distinguished Graduate Fellowship (one year stipend and $1,500 for travel).
- 2011 Fellowship from the Hopkins Microbiology Course in Pacific Grove, CA ($3,900).
- 2009 Honorable mention, Graduate Research Fellowship Program, NSF.
- 2007 Van de Velde Undergraduate Research Scholarship, University of Arizona ($1,000).
- 2006 Galileo Circle Undergraduate Research Scholarship ($1,000).