Associate Professor of Biological Sciences
Major Field of Interest
Biochemistry and structural biology of protein-protein and protein-lipid interactions
- Protein domains engaged in Wnt signaling
- Protein domains that control blood clotting
- Multimodular proteins that control inflammation processes
- Lipid-binding proteins that mediate entry of oomycetes in plant cells
- Assistant Professor (Tenure-track, August 2008-July 2012) Department of Biological Sciences, Virginia Tech.
- Research Assistant Professor (August 2005-July 2008) and Adjunct Professor (February 2011-present) Department of Chemistry, Virginia Tech.
- Instructor (December 2002-July 2005). Field of study: Structural and cell biology. Department of Pharmacology, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center at Fitzsimons, Aurora CO.
- Postdoctoral Fellow (December 1998-December 2002). Field of study: Structural and cell biology. Department of Pharmacology, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, Aurora CO. Advisor: Michael Overduin, Ph.D.
- Visitor Scientist (April 1997-June 1997) Field of study: Analysis of the primary structure of the three isoforms of serine hydroxymethyltransferase from Crithidia fasciculata. Ludwig Institute for Cancer Research, Uppsala Branch, Uppsala, Sweden. Advisor: Ulf Hellman, Ph.D.
- Ph.D., Chemical Sciences, March 1997. Field of study: Enzymology. Thesis: Serine hydroxymethyltransferase in Trypanosomatids (C.fasciculata and Trypanosoma cruzi).Purification, kinetic and physicochemical properties. Advisor: Joaquin J. B. Cannata, Ph.D. Department of Biological Chemistry, School of Natural Sciences, University of Buenos Aires, Argentina. Final grade: Outstanding.
- Master of Sciences, December 1993. Field of study: Parasitology, Tropical Parasitic Diseases. School of Pharmacy, University of Valencia, Spain. Advisor: Santiago Mas-Coma, Ph.D.
- Bachelor of Science, degree in Biological Sciences, December 1989. Field of study: Biology. School of Natural Sciences, University of Buenos Aires, Argentina.
- Biophysical Society, Faculty Bridging Travel Funds Award (2016, 2018)
- Mary Louise Anderson Cancer Research Award (2016)
- Scholar of the Week, Virginia Tech (2015)
- College of Science Diversity Award (2015)
- Favorite Faculty, Virginia Tech (2014)
- Excellence in Access and Inclusion Award, Virginia Tech (2013)
- Biophysical Society Minority Travel Award (2012)
- Carl Storm Underrepresented Minority Fellowship Award, Gordon Research Conferences (2011)
- Argentinean Council of Science and Technology Postdoctoral Fellowship (1998, declined)
- Swedish Natural Science Research Council Fellowship (1997)
- Thalmann Fellowship for Teaching and Research Excellence (1997)
- Argentinean Society of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology Fellowship (1996-1997)
- Argentinean Council of Science and Technology Graduate Fellowship (1995-1997)
- University of Buenos Aires Award for scientific and teaching achievement (1993-1997)
- Spanish Agency of International Cooperation (1993)
- University of Buenos Aires Graduate Student Fellowship (1992-1994)
- Bromatology and Pharmacology Undergraduate Student Fellowship (1989-1990)