Associate Professor of Biological Sciences
Major Fields of Interest
Cell, Molecular and Structural Biology, Regulation of Cell Division Processes, Molecular Basis for Breast Cancer Incidence
- Circadian control of cell proliferation
- Tumor resistance to radiation therapies
- Regulation of gene expression by circadian proteins
- Control of metastatic processes
- Associate Professor (Affiliated) (01/2014 – Present). Academic Institution: Department of Surgery, Virginia Tech-Carillion School of Medicine.
- Associate Professor, Faculty of Health Sciences (01/2013 – Present). Academic Institution: Virginia Tech-Carillion School of Medicine.
- Associate Professor (Adjunct) (08/2009 – Present). Academic Institution: Department of Biochemistry, Virginia Tech.
- Assistant Professor (Tenure-Track) (08/2005 – 08/2011). Academic Institution: Department of Biological Sciences, Virginia Tech.
- PostDoctoral Fellow (12/2001 – 07/2005). Field of study: Structural Biology. Research study: X-ray structural determination of cellular DNA replicases. Academic Institution: Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Genetics, School of Medicine, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center. Principal Investigator: Dr. X.S. Chen.
- Research Associate (07/1998 - 12/2001). Field of study: Cellular and Molecular Biology. Research Study: Cell cycle regulation and apoptosis in early Xenopus development. Academic Institution: Department of Pharmacology, Howard Hughes Medical Institute, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center. Principal Investigator: Dr. J.L. Maller.
- Ph.D. (12/1992 – 05/1998). Field of study: Molecular Biology. Dissertation: Characterization of a phosphoprotein intermediary in the mechanism of action of peptide hormones. Advisor: Dr. E.J. Podesta. Academic Institution: Department of Biological Chemistry, School of Natural Sciences, University of Buenos Aires.
- Bachelor in Biological Sciences (03/1988 – 10/1992). Field of study: Molecular Biology. Academic Institution: School of Natural Sciences, University of Buenos Aires.
- Mitzi L. Frank Memorial Endowed Fund (2018)
- Mary Louise Olds Andrews Cancer Award, Virginia Academy of Science (2017)
- College of Science Dean’s Discovery Fund Award, Virginia Tech (2017)
- Molecular Biology Society of Japan, Best Research Work (2016)
- Institute of Society, Culture, and Environment Scholar Award, Virginia Tech (2015)
- Alumni Award for Outreach Excellence, Virginia Tech (2015)
- Nanotechnology Entrepreneurship Challenge Award, Institute for Critical Technologies and Advance Science (2014)
- College of Science Outreach Excellence Award, Virginia Tech (2013)
- Research Scholar of the Week, Virginia Tech (2013)
- Appalachian Community Cancer Network Scholarship (2012)
- Karin Decker Noss Scholarship Award, Virginia Breast Cancer Foundation (2011)
- American Association for Cancer Research Minority Scholar Award in Cancer Research, AACR (2010)
- National Breast Cancer Coalition Scholarship (2010)
- National Science Foundation CAREER Award, NSF (2009)
- Carl Strom Underrepresented Minority Fellowship (2009)
- Nominated by Virginia Tech to SCHEV Outstanding Faculty Award, Rising Star (2009)
- Pulmonary Hypertension Association Postdoctoral Fellowship. Awarded and declined (2002)
- American Heart Association Postdoctoral Fellowship (2002)
- Lucio Cherny Foundation Award. Outstanding PhD dissertation award (1997)
- Thalmann Fellowship for Teaching and Research Excellence (1995)
- University of Toronto Fellowship to Scientific Visitors (1995)
- University of Buenos Aires Award. To scientific, teaching and technical achievement (1993 – 1997)