Professor of Biological Sciences
Major Field of Interest
Spider Systematics and Evolution
- Adhesive mechanisms of spider prey capture threads from orb-webs
- Molecular and morphological systematics of spiders
- Assistant Professor, Department of Biological Sciences (formerly Department of Biology), Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, 1978-1984; Associate Professor, 1984-1989; Professor 1989-present.
- PhD., Biology, 1978, Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts. Thesis Title: Revision of the Genera and Tropical American Species of the Spider Family Uloboridae. Major Advisor: Herbert W. Levi.
- M.S., Zoology, 1974, Southern Illinois University, Carbondale, Illinois. Thesis Title: A Taxonomic Revision of the North American Hahniidae (Arachnida: Araneae). Major Advisor: Joseph A. Beatty.
- B. A. (Magna Cum Laude), Botany/Zoology, 1971, Butler University, Indianapolis, Indiana.
- Virginia Tech Certificate of Teaching Excellence: 1986, 2005, 2014.
- Department of Biological Sciences Outstanding Teacher Award: 1994, 2013.
- William E. Wine Award winner, 2015.
- CIDER Teacher of the Week, 2015.