Undergraduate Summer Advising Information for Biological Sciences
Biological Sciences Advising Team
Welcome to the Virginia Tech Biological Sciences Department!
Step 1 - Check your email!
You will receive two important emails on June 8th from the Biological Sciences Advising Office and from Navigate to schedule your advising appointment.
Please check your Spam folder if you do not see the Navigate email in your VT inbox.
You will see a message from your assigned academic advisor that looks similar to the image on the right.
Once you make an appointment in Navigate go to Step 2 ("PREPARE FOR YOUR ADVISING APPOINTMENT").
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact the Bioadvising Team at 540-231-6407 or firstname.lastname@example.org during regular business hours at least 10 days prior to the appointment.
Step 2 - Review the Checklist!
Before your Biological Sciences department orientation advising appointment:
- Complete the College of Science Action Items of the Biological Sciences Summer Academic Advising Checklist
- Explore the Biological Sciences Undergraduate Webpage
- Create a list of classes of interest.
- Have scores from AP/IB/DE/Transfer credit (check in your Hokie Spa to see if available there) and unofficial academic transcripts; have them available for your appointment.
- Be ready with a list of questions - the advising team is interested in your success and persistence in school and is happy to help answer all questions.
Step 3 - Be excited and prepared!
- You will need to enter the Zoom meeting ID or URL to enter the meeting that you receive by email.
- You must successfully tell us your FERPA self-passcode to remain in the advising appointment.
- Review information in the "PREPARE FOR YOUR ADVISING" appointment section above as needed.
You have been placed, but not registered, for our general Biological Sciences first semester courses. Utilize the Hokie Scheduler videos sent by Academic Advising Initiatives and the Biological Sciences specific videos that were emailed to you. This information will direct you to information on registering for classes. You have from June 13- 30th to register for courses you have been placed into. DO NOT MAKE COURSE CHANGES TO YOUR SCHEDULE.
On July 1st, a hold will be placed on your account and you will not be able to make additional schedule changes until you meet with your academic advisor. At this meeting you will discuss any transfer credit you may have and make changes to your fall schedule with the guidance of your academic advisor.
Refer to the College of Science Summer Orientation Site for the Expected Courses/Credits Worksheet and instructions for uploading that document.
This site also has important Resources for students to access as they prepare for their Summer Academic Advising Meeting.
Refer to the College of Science Summer Orientation Site for detailed instructions on how to send official transcripts and transfer credit to the Registrar’s Office. Below is a chart of how many transfer credits a student is able to transfer.
|TRANSFER CREDIT||MAX # OF ALLOWABLE CREDITS|
Services for Students with Disabilities (SSD) provides accommodations to students on a case-by-case basis. SSD offers a host of accommodations, including classroom accommodations, accommodations for deaf and hard of hearing students, the SSD testing center, note-takers, alternate text, and housing accommodations. Students who wish to receive accommodations must register with SSD. If you received accomodations at your previous institution, you may want to contact SSD to see what services are avaliable to you.
If you are no longer interested in continuing as a Biological Sciences major, you will still need to attend a biological sciences advising appointment to complete your fall course schedule . However, you should also meet with an advisor in Transitional Advising. More information about changing majors can be found here.