Virginia Tech®home


The Department of Biological Sciences will accept internal transfer requests for the Microbiology major during the common change of major periods. See the University Registrar's web page for change of major dates.  Adding a second major, minor, or option to your degree may be completed at any time, but will be done on paper in the department offering the program.

Students in the Microbiology major must:

1.  Complete each of the following courses (or equivalents) with a grade of “C” or better: BIOL 1105, BIOL 1115, BIOL 1106, BIOL 1116, CHEM 1035 and CHEM 1036. Only two graded attempts, including “W” grades, are allowed for each course.

2.  Complete BIOL 2604 and BIOL 2614 with a grade of "C " or better

3. Have an overall GPA of at least 2.0

4. Have an in-major GPA of 2.2 (major specific courses in BIOL, BCHM, CHEM, MATH, PHYS, & STAT)

Contact the Biological Sciences Undergraduate Advising Office (2089 Derring Hall,, or 540-231-6407) with questions.

Once a student transfers into Microbiology, they must meet progress to degree requirements and maintain at least an in-major 2.2 GPA for each semester, including the semester of transfer. For requirements and course information, please Major and Minor Options.