- Detailed Checksheet for Students Graduating in 2017
- Detailed Checksheet for Students Graduating in 2018
To receive a B.S. degree in Microbiology*, students must:
1. Complete the Curriculum for Liberal Education Requirements, College of Science Foreign Language requirement, Departmental and University GPA requirements, and a minimum total of 120 credits.
2. Make satisfactory progress toward degree requirements.
3. Take BIOL 1004 Biology Orientation Seminar or equivalent.
4. Earn a grade of "C" (2.0) or better in BIOL 1105/1115, BIOL 1106/1116, BIOL 2604, BIOL 2614, CHEM 1035, and CHEM 1036 (or equivalents) in a maximum of two attempts.
5. Complete BIOL 2004 Genetics and BIOL 2104 Cell & Molecular Biology, BIOL 4624 Microbial Genetics, BIOL 4634 Microbial Physiology, BCHM 3114 Biochemistry for Biotechnology, and BIOL 4764 Microbiology Senior Seminar.
6. Complete EITHER BIOL 4644 Microbial Molecular Genetics and Physiology Lab OR BIOL 3774 Molecular Biology AND BIOL 3104 Cell & Molecular Biol. Lab.
7. Complete FOUR additional Microbiology electives, ONE of which must be EITHER BIOL 4674 Pathogenic Bacteriology OR BIOL 4704 Immunology and THREE of which must have associated labs.
8. Complete the following courses: CHEM 1045 & 1046 General Chemistry labs, CHEM 2535 & 2545 Organic Chemistry and lab, CHEM 2536 & 2546 Organic Chemistry and lab, PHYS 2205 & 2215 General Physics and lab, and PHYS 2206 & 2216 General Physics and lab.
9. Complete MATH 1016 (MATH 1025 as of Fall 2014) Calculus with Trig I and MATH 2015 (MATH 1026 as of Fall 2014) Calculus with Trig II (or acceptable substitutions as listed on our Degree Checksheets).
10. Complete STAT 3615.
* The requirements listed are summarized for simplicity. Refer to Check Sheets by year of graduation for details.
Biological Sciences Undergraduate Advising Office
2089 Derring Hall (MC 0406)
926 West Campus Dr.
Blacksburg, VA 24061
Mon. - Fri.
8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
Current Student Information