Students must meet the following Honors College and departmental requirements in order to graduate with an in Honors or Honors Baccalaureate diploma in Microbiology.
Honors College requirements:
- Maintain good standing in the Honors College and follow all Honors academic requirements.
- Meet with the Director of Honors Academic Processes in the fall of junior year to confirm plans for completing a thesis-based diploma.
- Complete an Honors Diploma Order in the last semester before graduation.
- Submit a physical copy of the thesis to the Honors College by the last day of classes before graduation with the Thesis Approval Form attached.
Find more information about the Honors College thesis-based diplomas and academic requirements here: http://www.honorscollege.vt.edu/honors-diploma.html.
Biological Sciences / Microbiology requirements:
- The required undergraduate research does not have to be done in the Department of Biological Sciences; life sciences research properly supervised can be conducted anywhere within the life sciences at Virginia Tech and off campus in independent or government programs such as NIH.
- Students must write research results in the scientific style of a reputable journal in the area of research.
- Students must defend this document to a committee of three or more faculty; a minimum of two committee members must be from the Department of Biological Sciences and may include an Honors Advisor from the department. If the research advisor is not from the Department of Biological Sciences, there must be a co-advisor from the department.
- Students must submit copies of the thesis to the members of the committee at least two weeks before the thesis defense.
- After the defense of the thesis and all revisions to the thesis are completed, the committee members will sign two (2) copies of the Thesis Approval Form: one for submission to the Department of Biological Sciences and the second for submission to the Honors College.
Biological Sciences Undergraduate Advising Office
2089 Derring Hall (MC 0406)
926 West Campus Dr.
Blacksburg, VA 24061
Mon. - Fri.
8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
Current Student Information