Safety Guidelines for Teaching Lab Activities
All Graduate Teaching Assistants must complete the General Laboratory Safety online training, through Environmental Health and Safety.
All Microbiology GTAs are required to complete the following online training:
- CITI Tier 2 (see lab coordinator)
- Introduction to Biological Safety Cabinets (under Biological Safety)
- Online Medical Surveillance Survey (see lab coordinator)
- Portable Fire Extinguishers (under Fire and Life Safety)
- Safe Autoclave Use and Verification (under Biological Safety)
GTAs assigned to an immunology lab must complete the above training and Bloodborne Pathogens training. Please see your immunology lab supervisor, for more details.
All laboratory waste must be disposed of properly, to avoid injury and environmental contamination. Refer to "How do I handle laboratory waste?", to find appropriate disposal methods for different types of laboratory waste.
In the event of a laboratory incident causing an injury, make sure the student gets proper medical attention. Then, complete the Incident Report Form and send it to the Teaching Labs Operations Manager.