Virginia Tech now has three common change of major times every year, instead of varying deadlines by colleges and departments. The process is online, through HokieSPA and applies to a student's primary major. Adding a second major, minor, or option to your degree may be completed at anytime, but will be done on paper in the department offering the program. BIOL is a restricted major and students will only be able to apply through Hokie SPA.
Students who wish to change their major to Biological Sciences, or add it as a second major, must first:
1. Complete each of the following courses (or equivalents) with a grade of “C” or better: BIOL 1105, BIOL 1115, BIOL 1106, BIOL 1116, CHEM 1035 and CHEM 1036. Only two graded attempts, including “W” grades, are allowed for each course.
2. Pass or otherwise receive credit for two semesters of Math (preferably MATH 1025-1026, 1016-2015, 1205-1206, or 1225-1226)
3. Pass or otherwise receive credit for ENGL 1105-1106 or ENGL 1204H
4. Have an overall GPA of at least 2.0
5. Have an in-major GPA of 2.2 (major specific courses in BIOL, CHEM, MATH, PHYS, & STAT)
Contact the Biological Sciences Undergraduate Advising Office (2089 Derring Hall, email@example.com, or 540-231-6407) with questions.
Once a student transfers into Biological Sciences, they must meet progress to degree requirements and maintain at least an in-major 2.2 GPA for each semester, including the semester of transfer. For requirements and course information, please see: B.S. in Biological Sciences.
Biological Sciences Undergraduate Advising Office
2089 Derring Hall (MC 0406)
926 West Campus Dr.
Blacksburg, VA 24061
Mon. - Fri.
8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
Current Student Information