Major Fields of Interest
Systems Biology, Computational Cell Biology, Cell Cycle Regulation, Signal Transduction Networks
Cell cycle regulation in budding yeast; estrogen responsiveness in breast cancer cells; innate immune responses; stochastic modeling of protein regulatory networks; cell division control in alpha-proteobacteria
- Visiting Research Fellow, Merton College, Oxford University (November, 2018)
- Visiting Research Fellow, Merton College, Oxford University (January - June, 2017)
- Visiting Fellow, Isaac Newton Institute for Mathematical Sciences, Cambridge UK (May - June, 2016)
- Visiting Researcher, Merton College, Oxford University (2007 - 2016, ~4 weeks per year).
- Visiting Fellow, Isaac Newton Institute for Mathematical Sciences, Cambridge UK (Sep, 2005)
- Faculty Fellow, Virginia Bioinformatics Institute, 9/04 - present.
- Visiting Senior Scholar, Institute for Advanced Study ("Collegium Budapest"), Hungary (2003).
- University Distinguished Professor, Virginia Polytechnic Inst. and State Univ. (4/96 - present).
- Visiting Professor of Mathematics, University of Utah (9/85-12/85 and 1/96-3/96)
- Professor of Biology, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University (9/85-4/96).
- Senior Visiting Research Fellow, Centre for Mathematical Biology, Mathematical Institute, Oxford University, England (4/84-7/84 and 1/86-3/86).
- Associate Professor of Biology, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University (9/82-5/85).
- Assistant Professor of Biology, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University (1/78-5/82).
- Innsbruck, Austria (3/76-11/77). Advisor: W. Sachsenmaier. (Experimental studies of the control of nuclear division in Physarum polycephalum.)
- Postdoctoral Research Fellow, Institute for Biochemistry and Experimental Cancer Research, University of Innsbruck, Austria (3/76 - 11/77). Advisor: W. Sachsenmaier (Experimental studies of the control of nuclear division in Physarum polycephalum.)
- Assistant Professor of Mathematics, State University of New York at Buffalo (9/74-12/75, resigned in favor of NIH fellowship).
- Postdoctoral Research Fellow, Max-Planck-Institute for Biophysical Chemistry, Gšttingen, West Germany (6/73-8/74). Advisor: M. Eigen. (Theory of the evolution of biological macromolecules)
- Ph.D., Chemical Physics, University of Chicago, Chicago, IL. Thesis: Studies in Chemical Kinetics and Reactive Scattering. Thesis Advisor: Dr. John C. Light (1973)
- B.S. (with highest honor), Chemistry, Wheaton College, Wheaton, IL (1969)
- Fellow, Society for Mathematical Biology (2017)
- Winfree Prize, Society for Mathematical Biology (2011)
- Winfree Memorial Lecturer, Department of Mathematics, University of Arizona (2010).
- Associate Member, Royal Academy of Sciences, Belgium (2009).
- Ziwet Lecturer, Department of Mathematics, University of Michigan (2009).
- Aisenstadt Chair, Centre de Recherches Mathematiques, Univ. Montreal (2007).
- Virginia Outstanding Scientist (one of three awards for 2004).
- Doctor honoris causa, Technical University of Budapest (2000).
- Alumni Award for Research Excellence, VPI&SU (1992).
- The Bellman Prize, Mathematical Biosciences (1989).
- Public Health Service National Research Service Award (4/76-11/77).
- North Atlantic Treaty Organization Postgraduate Research Fellowship (7/73-6/74).
- National Science Foundation Graduate Fellowship (9/69-8/72).
- National Collegiate Athletic Association Graduate Scholarship (1969).
- Chemistry & Engineering News Merit Award Program (Honorable Mention, 1969).